Monday, January 21, 2008

Martin Luther King Day

15 years ago I was one of those people who were against making Martin Luther King Jr's Birthday a holiday because of alleged failings in his personal life. I felt we should not be honoring him because of these.

I WAS WRONG. I have since come to the realization that there is no perfect hero. We are all flawed in different ways. Martin Luther King Jr. did more then any other person to end segregation and discrimination in our country. He did this at great personal sacrifice to himself. He did it at the cost of his life. This was a great service not only to our country but to humanity.

So while he may not have been perfect and while I may disagree with some of his other political opinions, he does deserve to be honored for what he accomplished and we should reflect today on the heroic stand he took against a great injustice. For this is why he deserves inclusion in the pantheon of great Americans.

No comments: