Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Presidential Candidate and the Floating Cross; A Christmas Story

To paraphrase Freud, sometimes a window pane is just a window pane.

Presidential candidate, former Arkansas Governor and Baptist minister Michael Huckabee is taking some flak from a Christmas message that mentions Christ (oh my!) and has a window pane in it that looks like a cross. Even if it is a subliminal cross so what? Why should he not be able to showcase something that is an integral part of who he is. He is an unabashed evangelical Christian. Whether you like it or not that is an important factor to many voters. Religion is an important part of the life's of the majority of people. There is no reason to strip the issue from politics. If the candidate misuses it well God might have something to say to them about that down the road.

While I am not completely sold on Huckabee because of concerns about his economic policies what I do like about him is that he is clear and up front about who he is. His religion will cost him votes and gain him votes but I do not think that is part of his calculation. He says this is who I am and this is where I stand. I admire that in a politician. While American history has shown that strong religious belief does not always translate into competent executive leadership ( see Jimmy Carter and unfortunately I must admit our current president) I do like the fact that Huckabee shares my values.

Whether he is your choice or not it is a really good Christmas message. So chill out and take it as that.

No comments: