Thursday, September 20, 2007

What about the Sermon on the Mount ?

I can hear it now. The howls of protest. Hypocrite! You claim to be Christian but based on your last post you undoubtedly do not believe in what Jesus taught about helping the poor.

Actually I do. I believe we all have an obligation to feed the hungry and clothe the naked, house the homeless and yes provide medical care for the uninsured.

The difference is I believe we have an individual responsibility to do those things. Jesus called on each of us to do this ourselves. Jesus did not say form a government and impose confiscatory taxes on people so that the poor can be cared for. He did not say force those unwilling to help the less fortunate at the point of a gun. He said we each have a personal responsibility to get down and do the things he commands. We can do these things individually and as groups voluntarily coming together to address these needs.

I fact you are not following the teachings of Jesus if you abrogate your personal responsibility to the government.

Do I follow these commandments? I do charitable works but I fail far short of the standards set by my Lord and Saviour. I admit that. This post is a good reminder to me that I need to try harder.

Of course if I had to pay less taxes it might be a little easier.

No comments: